Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Social Networking Sites



While I was in high school, social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter gained so much prominence among my peers. By the time I reached my senior, very few people, including myself had not yet made it on to Facebook. I had long thought that social networking might not me for me because I’d never cared to take photos, or view photos of others, nor did the idea of chatting with my friends online intrigue me, because we’d spent enough time playing sports and video games. 

Later in my high school years, websites like WorldStarHipHop began posting entertaining smartphone recorded videos and I saw how Facebook users were able to get the most interesting videos straight to their news-feed by way of their friends. In addition to the ease of access to certain videos, I found that Facebook could curtail a lot of the internet searches and activities that I do so I made a Facebook account. Since making it, Facebook has been the single most important web-based platform that I use outside of my email. I communicate with friends, family, and classmates on a daily basis. It fits all of my immediate technology based needs by providing news and entertainment stories, sports highlights, and videos about Haitian American culture from the pages I follow.

Twitter seems like it offers the most similar features between itself, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. But, I can't seem to be entertained with Twitter as a user. Instead, I use Twitter to check out the tweets of my favorite artists like Kanye West. I like that aspect of Twitter because it makes you feel like your have a more personal connection with your favorite artist. Recently, he released his latest album, album The Life of Pablo. Leading up to that date, he shared exclusives from his album and it made me and millions of other fans anticipate the album even more. I don't feel like I don't have much to participate to the 140 character Twitter conversations so I'll likely stick to keeping tabs on Kanye West's tweets.

I appreciate Instagram for its exposition of our lives through photography. It is always interesting to me how different companies promote their products through Instagram. It's grade modern, cheap promotion. For example, my friend's barber has an Instagram where he shows his specialty cuts and designs. A Manhattan-based burger restaurant posts pictures of their deliciously unique burgers and I'm hoping to visit next week. Although I'm not an active Instagram user, I think that Instagram can be used and monetized in a way that is specific to them because their photos are all available in a neat, identifiable fashion on the user's profile. Mastery of Instagram is essential to most major companies, in my opinion, at least.
 
Being that I'm in my junior year of my accounting degree, it's imperative that I find internships and jobs to give me hands on experience in the field. Although it's been difficult finding the perfect job match, I created an account on LinkedIn to help expedite the process. While it hasn't  provided me with the results I've been looking for, I have heard too man success stories from my own friends, to not believe in its effectiveness. In my three month long career on LinkedIn, I've modified my account to make it more appealing to employers by letting them know my exact qualifications and goals in my career field. I am eager to see the benefits of my hard work and maneuvering on LinkedIn. LinkedIn continues to be my go-to site for expanding my professional portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment