Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Creativity and New Media

A few years ago, my friends and I took a computer animation class. I signed up because the course posting noted that we would learn how to create live action animations - online! My friends and I have seemingly always loved anime and this class made it seem like I could perhaps create the animated worlds that we held such heavy investments. But I soon learned that storytelling was not exactly my forte. I've always been a numbers guy. Numbers are tangible and accountable for, but in creating a fictional world, I had to create the tangibility present in plausible storylines, character development, and action sequences, as well as I had to be accountable for each second of the piece. So at our beginner level, I created stick figure videos. I used Pivot Animator to make the stick figures, to animate them, I used Hypercam 2 to record a sped up version of my images, similar to a digital flip-book. I uploaded my final products to YouTube to make it accessible to others. The fact that my videos exist on YouTube give me a permanent reminder of one of my first instances of honing my creativity. I appreciate that fact about fostering creativity on social media: there is a sort of timeline that can trigger one's memory and bring them back to that point in time when they first created that stickman animation or a Second Life avatar.
First stickman fight




Links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9DOgAv1d8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds2wMHLRN9I

1 comment:

  1. Not everyone is naturally born with creativity; however should be something that we should all strive to do... for those of us who are creative, it's something we should be proud of because it's not an easy thing to do

    ReplyDelete