Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Our Class Wiki - So Far

As of yet, I have not contributed to the class wiki. But, my interests in the wiki are my participating as a contributor and a graphics editor. As a contributor, I want to contribute information about the Haitian revolution. My family comes from Haiti and I have noticed that despite Haiti's major contributions to the world, our nation's status as a third world country overshadows our past, unparalleled victories. Haiti was the first black nation to get its independence from a European mother country, as well as, its independence is the product of being the only successful slave revolt in world history. Being the only nation formed by a successful slave revolt, Haiti was shunned and punished for its success against the French and was excluded from global trade and all while being forced to pay France 1 billion francs, effectively bankrupting the nation by the mid 20th century. My goal in creating a page about the Haitian revolution is to highlight these atrocities while also highlighting interesting facts, such as, Napoleon sold the Louisiana territory because he deemed it worthless with out Haiti, the new world's richest colony, and "the diamond in France's crown." I have been on the JSTOR database search for scholarly articles to cite and source for my contributions, and as well as, I plan to include information from my mother's books on Haiti. 
As a graphic editor, I hope to select pictures that will enhance the editorial contributions already made. I would google photos and various articles as sources for these photos.

1 comment:

  1. Were you able to add any info on the Haitian Revolution? Or did you find other areas of interest that you did instead? I would really love to read more about Haiti, I am Jamaican so I feel like me have a bit of comrodery with being from the islands.

    ReplyDelete